The Fiesta Beauties quilt is finally finished! I am so pleased with the result.
Many if you know that I have been working on a series of quilts that have evolved from my Lovely Landscape quilt from the Maverick Quilts book.
Drum roll, please!
With how much work went into the front of the quilt, it seemed only fitting that I make a whole second quilt for the back side!
And of course, there is that dee-luxe quilt label. (see last post)
I created a series of pieces of the focus fabric, which is Las Senoritas, by Alexander Henry Fabrics (still my boyfriend, I might add!). I tried to focus the visual impact of each part by covering up images that I didn’t want. Mostly that meant covering up partial faces and sometimes extra arms, elbows, hands or hats.
Then I created the circles for the edges of the focus pieces. All the focus blocks are in 6″ (finished) increments to go with the 6″ finished blocks.
Each circle was machine appliqued to the blocks.
I began to audition the border fabric and started cutting boat-loads of flower appliques.
After sewing the pieces together, I worked to integrate all the visuals in the piece by breaking the barriers of the focus sections and the surrounding blocks.
This is where the fun begins because there are so many ways to do this. Often I found myself “creating” new flowers by strategically splicing pieces of the fabric.
In this section I wanted to break the plane by bringing the flower out into the next block.
This flower proved especially challenging, as it didn’t have any whole petals to work with. If I just removed the surrounding imagery, the flower would look chopped. I wanted a whole flower.
For the foundation, I made this cutout. By including the leaf, the applique will blend in better on the background.
Then I have to cut up a whole flower to get another petal to overlay.
Trim things up until it looks right.
I added appliques all over the place. All of the other appliques (except the really big cacti) came from other Alexander Henry fabrics I’ve collected over time (of course).
Here are some examples of the results.
When it came to quilting, I gave everything a once-over with a blue and green variegated rayon thread called Rainbows from Superior threads. In this pass I quilted the backgrounds and borders as well as the edges of all of the appliques. Then I chose colors to go with all of the different parts of the quilt. Each flower, circle and applique was then quilted a second time with a thread of a matching color. I ended up using green, orange, pink, red and brown.
It’s getting packed up for its debut at Sisters next week.
I hope y’all like it!